Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Philosophy of Beauty

My brother showed me this film and I really liked a lot of points it made.  I don't know if I agree completely with the view of contemporary/modern art presented, since it seems very selective.  I think, however, this selectivity was intentional to force the point that SOME contemporary/modern art has gone too far and is all about shock value and money, as apposed to beauty or even an idea.
If you have and hour, there are six 10 minute videos found on youtube and it is well work the time.  The manner in which this philosopher takes you through what beauty really is and how it has been presented throughout time is wonderful and also a little saddening.  This documentary is, of sorts, a look into this poor old romantics heart and of view of his longing for the a return to what beauty used to be.  I wholeheartedly agree that the old representational art of the past is beautiful and that there is nothing more awe inspiring than Roman and Victorian architecture.   More of it in our lives would be so good for us.  At the same time, I can't help but believe that there is still so much that is beautiful being created today and we should be just as eager to seek that out as well. 







1 comment:

  1. Plato also described art as a balance between excess and defect. Some people believe that excessive ornament is like putting lipstick on a pig, and some people believe that stripping away all of it for rationality is hideous. Both have their place and time in art.

    ReplyDelete